Search For:
Exact phrase Any word All words






BANKERT - Hamberger

Mrs. Mary Schreiber
Sebastian Hamberger
Peter Bankert
Mrs. Mary Schrieber Hamberger
Mrs. Peter Bankert (Gertrude Cheska)
Mrs. Anthony Bankert (Hellen Hamberger)
Anthony Bankert
Mrs. Norbert F. Bankert (Mary Roach)
Norbert Bankert
Denise (Bankert) Puleo
Norbert Bankert jr.
Albert Bankert - Uncle
Anne Helen (Bankert) Carey - Aunt


ROACH - Reynolds

Bartholomew Roach
Mrs. Bridget (Collins) Roach
Edward Reynolds
Mrs. Edward Reynolds (Bridget Canty)
Mrs. John W. Roach (Anna Reynolds)
John W. Roach
John Roach Jr. - Uncle
E.J. Roach - Uncle

LANGE – Wolfe

John G. Lange
Mrs. Johanna Lange
Mrs. Charles H. Lange (Catherine Wolfe)
Comrade C.H. Lange
Mrs. Mary (Messenger) Lange
John G. Lange - Uncle


Irving Messenger
Wealthy P. (Gillette) Winchell
Sarah (Winchell) Messenger
Mrs. Bridget (Gagan) Messenger


John Broderick
Samual Grober
Ellen A. Phelan Broderick
Hugh Graber Sr.
Anna Grober
John Graber
Mrs Ellen (Galvin) Graber


BANKERT – Hamberger

 Utica Daily Press Saturday, December 1, 1894

Mrs. Mary Schreiber

Mrs. Mary Schreiber died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Sebastian Hamberger, in New Hartford, yesterday. She had for some time been troubled with the ills which accompany old age. She was born in Germany, 70 years ago and had resided in this country about forty years, being in this city nearly all that time. She was the widow of Joseph Schreiber, a well known German resident. She was a member of St. Joseph’s Church. She is survived by only one child, at whose residence she died. Her grandchildren are Mrs. Anthony Bankert, Misses Mame, Annie and Gertie, and Joseph, George and Frank Hamburger, all of this city. The funeral will occur at 9:30 A. M. Monday, at the residence of Mrs. Bankert, 8 Orchard street.


Utica Daily Press Friday, May 19, 1905

Sebastian Hamberger.

At his home, No. 43 Erie street, yesterday morning died Sebastian Hamberger, one of the oldest and most highly respected of German residents. He had not been in good health for some time and nine days ago was attacked with pneumonia.

Mr. Hamberger was born in Bavaria, Germany, January 20, 1840, but had lived in this city since he was seven years old. He learned the trade of painter and worked at it until the breaking out of the civil war. He enlisted in the 146’th Regiment, in which he served three years. On his return to this city, he worked in Pomeroy’s Oil Cloth Factory for six years and since that time had worked at his trade as painter most of the time. He retired some years ago. Mr. Hamberger was a member of St,. Joseph’s Church and of Bacon Post, G. A. R. In politics he was a Democrat. Mr. Hamberger was a man of cheerful and kindly disposition and ever ready to help the needy. His death will be mourned by all who knew him.

Mr. Hamberger was married 39 years ago last January to Mary Meaney (aka Schreiber), who survives with four daughters, Mrs. Anthony Bankert, Mrs. Anna Somerville and Miss Gertrude Hamberger of this city and Mrs. Charles Finkhaven (Finkbeiner) of Oneida; also three sons, Joseph Hamberger of this city, George Hamberger of Ohio and Frank Hamberger of Illinois. He leave also two brothers, John Hamberger of Buffalo and Gustave Hamberger of Lancaster, O, and six grandsons.


Utica Daily Press Thursday, December 30, 1909

Peter Bankert

After an illness of several weeks, Peter Bankert died early yesterday morning at his home, 33 Parker St. He was born in Germany, September 17, 1829, and came to this country about 30 years ago. He came at once to Utica and had lived here ever since. Mr. Bankert was a tailor and was employed for many years by his son, Albert Bankert,. He was a member of St. Joseph’s church and was well and favorably known in West Utica. Besides his wife, Mr. Bankert is survived by three sons, Albert, John and Anthony Bankert, all of this city. The funeral will be held to-morrow morning.


Utica Daily Press Friday, December 31, 1915

Mrs. Mary Schrieber Hamberger

After an illness of several weeks, Mary Schrieber, wife of the late Sebastian Hamberger, died yesterday afternoon at her home 1426 Elm St. Death was due to complications. Mary Schrieber was born in Baden, Germany November 2, 1844 the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Schrieber (step-daughter of Joseph). When six years of age, she came to this country. She resided with her parents for a few years after which they came to this city where she had lived since 17 years of age. January 20, 1865 she was married to Sebastian Hamberger who died 11 years ago. She was a member of St. Joseph’s Church in this city and was held in high esteem by her many friends. She is survived by four daughters, and three sons, Mrs. Anthony Bankert, Mrs. William Somerville and Gertrude Hamberger of this city and Mrs. Charles Finkbeiner of Syracuse, Joseph and George Hamberger of this city and Frank Hamberger of Wonkeegan, Ill.


Utica Daily Press Friday, January 28, 1916

Mrs. Peter Bankert

The death of Gertrude Cheska, wife of the late Peter Bankert, occurred yesterday morning at her home, 33 Parker street, after an illness of several months due to the infirmities of old age. Mrs. Bankert was born in Germany, February 10, 1831, and came with her husband and family to this country 35 years ago, and settled in Utica. She was a member of St. Joseph’s Church and took a deep interest in its affairs. She was well and favorably known among the German residents of West Utica, where her passing will be sincerely regretted. Her husband died about seven years ago. Three sons survive, Albert, John and
Anthony, with 10 grandchildren and one brother, Charles Cheska, all of this city.


Utica Observer Dispatch Monday, September 11, 1939

Utica Woman Killed, 12 Persons Injured in Area Traffic Accidents


Traffic accidents cost the life of a Utica woman and resulted in injuries to 12 others in Central New York yesterday.

Weekend accidents throughout the state involving automobiles took a toll of 13 lives.

Mrs. Anthony Bankert, 73, 1108 Orchard, was injured fatally and three members of her family were seriously hurt near Poland when the car in which they were riding collided with a truck-trailer.

Three in Hospital

In St. Elizabeth Hospital in "fair" condition today were Anthony Bankert, 75 1108 Orchard, who suffered concussion of the brain, possible hip fracture and a scalp laceration; Raymond Bankert, 46, 2416 Sunset Ave., his son, fractured shoulder and face bruises, and Mrs. Lois Bankert, 40, wife of Raymond Bankert, possible rib fractures and body bruises.

The car in which they were riding, driven by Raymond Bankert, was proceeding toward Utica at about 6 p. m. on Route 28, and had made a left turn to ascend a hill.

The truck, operated by Harry Beard, Watertown, was coming down the hill. Neither Beard nor his helper, H. W. Ryel, was injured. First aid was given at the scene of the accident by Mrs. Leslie Peterson, a nurse at St. Elizabeth Hospital, who was riding with her husband.

Utican Dies In Hospital

Dr. H. U. Wallace, Poland, who drove by the scene a few minutes after the accident, ordered Mrs. Anthony Bankert kept there until an ambulance arrived from Herkimer. The woman died shortly after she arrived at the hospital.

A moment after the collision a car operated by Henry Wray of Rochester struck the Bankerts’ car, but Wray and his wife were uninjured.

Raymond Bankert told Sergt. Roy Peterson and Trooper Harvid Hackett that he was blinded by the sun as he drove around the curve. Beard and his helper were questioned by District Attorney McGinty and Dr. Preston Clark, coroner, but were not held.

Dr. Clark said he would conduct an inquest when the injured persons are able to leave the hospital.

Utica Daily Press Tuesday, September 12, 1939

Mrs. Anthony Bankert

Funeral services for Mrs. Anthony Bankert, 1108 Orchard St, fatally injured Sunday in an automobile accident near Poland, will be held at 9 a.m. tomorrow from her home and at 9:30 from St. Joseph’s Church.

Mrs. Bankert was a native of this city and had lived here all of her life. She was born Nov. 28, 1866, the daughter of the late Sebastian and Mary Schreiber Hamberger. She was married 48 years ago to Mr. Bankert. She was a member of St. Joseph’s Church and its women’s activities.

Surviving are four sons, Norbert F., Raymond J., Anthony G., and Albert F., all of Utica; three sisters, Miss Gertrude Hamberger and Mrs. William Somerville, both of Utica, and Mrs. Charles Finkbeiner, Syracuse, and eight grandchildren.


Utica Daily Press Friday, November 24, 1944

Anthony Bankert

Dies at 80

Anthony Bankert Sr., 80, died Nov. 23, 1944, in his home 23 Parkside Ct., after a brief illness.

He was born in Germany, the son of the late Peter and Gertrude Bankert. When 16 years of age he came to Utica, where he had lived since. He was a tailor and was employed by H. H. Cooper Company until his retirement in 1924. Mr. Bankert was a member of Our Lady of Lourdes Church.

Surviving are four sons, Norbert F., Raymond J., Anthony Jr., and Albert F. Bankert, Utica; eight grandchildren, including Lt. Robert A. Bankert, Army, Greenland, and Pfc. Raymond J. Bankert, Army, St. Bonaventure College, and one great grandchild.

The funeral will be Monday morning from his late home and from Our Lady of Lourdes Church.


Utica Daily Press Tuesday, July 13, 1954

Mrs. Norbert F. Bankert

Mrs. Mary Bankert, 110 Grove Pl, wife of Norbert F. Bankert, died July 13, 1954 in St. Elizabeth Hospital after a long illness.

Mrs. Bankert was born in Camden, a daughter of John W. Roach and Ann Reynolds Roach. She came to Utica as a young girl, and was educated in Utica Catholic Academy and the Utica School of Commerce.

She was married on Oct. 4, 1922. A communicant of St. Francis de Sales Church, she was a member of the church’s Rosary Society.

She leaves her husband, a daughter, Mrs. Paul Carey; three sons, Norbert F. Bankert Jr., John R. Bankert, and William S. Bankert: a brother. Bart F. Roach, six grandchildren and several nieces and nephews, all of Utica.

The funeral will be at 8:30 Thursday from the Garvey Funeral Home, 701 John, an at 9 from St Francis de Sales Church where a requium high Mass will be offered. Burial will be at St. Agnes Cemetery.


Utica Observer Dispatch Sunday, July 27, 1969

Norbert Bankert

World War I Vet

Norbert F. Bankert, 77, of 8 Cromwell Pl. a World War I veteran, died yesterday in the Veterans Hospital at Canandaigua.

He was born in Utica and attended local schools. He married Mary Roach in Utica in 1922. He served in the Army in the Base Hospital Unit in France. He was an employee of the Utica Cutlery Co., and retired in 1953. Mrs. Bankert died in 1954.

He was a member of Our Lady of Lourdes Church, the Nocturnal Adoration Society, Charles H. Andrean, D.S.C. Post, American Legion, and Utica Council, K of C and its 4th Degree Assembly.

He leaves a daughter, Mrs. Paul V. (Ann) Carey, Utica; Three sons, Norbert F. Bankert Jr.: Warminster, Pa.; John R. Bankert, New York City; and William S. Bankert, Newark, and two brothers, Raymond J. Bankert and Anthony T. Bankert, both of Utica.

The funeral will be at 8:30 Tuesday form the Doyle Funeral Home and at 9 From Our Lady of Lourdes Church. Burial will be in St. Agnes Cemetery.

Calling hours are from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 tomorrow. Members of the K of C and its 4th Degree Assembly will meet at the funeral home at 7:30 tomorrow.


Saturday, March 3, 1984

Denise Ann Puleo

Denise Ann Puleo, 31, of 9422 Willowbrook Lane, Sauquoit, died Saturday, March 3, 1984 in St. Elizabeth Hospital after a long illness. She was born March 28, 1952 in Utica, the daughter of Norbert and Catherine Lang Bankert and was educated in local schools. On March 25,1975 she married Gary Puleo. Mrs. Puleo was a teller with the Savings Bank of Utica. She was a member of St. Anthony of Padua Church, Chadwicks and a member of its Alter Rosary Society. Surviving besides her husband and parents are three daughters, Melissa, Michelle and Andrea, all at home; three sisters, Mrs John (Donna) Abbruzzese of Altomont, New York, Mrs. Michael (Katie) Casab and Patricia Bankert of Utica; one brother, Norbert Bankert of Utica; her mother and father-in-law, Alice and Constantine Puleo of Chadwicks; and several nieces, nephews and cousins. Funeral services will be Monday morning at 9 o'clock at the Quinn, Ryan& Nunn, Inc. Funeral Home, 2212 Genesee St., and at 10 o'clock from St. Anthony of Padua Church, where a Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated. Friends are invited and may call Sunday 2-4 and 7-9 at the Funeral Home. Interment will be in Calvary Cemetery.


April 16, 1985

Mr. Norbert F. Bankert

Mr. Norbert F. Bankert, 57, of 703 Ravine Drive, Deerfield, died April16, 1985 at his home after a four month illness. He was born in Utica, son of Norbert F. and Mary Roach Bankert. He was educated in local schools and was a graduate of St. Francis de Sales High School. Mr. Bankert had attended Utica College. He served in the U.S. Navy overseas in WW II. He was employed as an accountant by UNIVAC and later by Hamilton Digital Controls and was recently employed by the town of Deerfield. He married Catherine Lange, February 11, 1950 in St. Francis de Sales Church. Norbert was a member of St. Joseph-St. Patrick's Church and a member of the Deerfield Democratic Club. He leaves besides his wife; three daughters, Mrs. John (Donna) Abbruzzese, Altmont, N.Y., Mrs. Michael ((Katie) Margaret) Casab, Waterville and Patricia at home; a son, Norbert R. Bankert and his wife Esther of Marcy; a sister, Mrs. Paul (Ann) Carey, Utica; two brothers, John R. Bankert , Waterville and William S. Bankert, Tupper Lake; two grandsons and nine granddaughters. He was predeceased by a daughter Denise Puleo. The funeral will be at 8:30 Friday from Doyle Funeral Home and at 9:00from St. Joseph-ST. Patrick's Church. Buriel will be in Mt. Olivet Cemetery. Calling hours will be from 7-9 Wednesday and 2-4 and 7-9 Thursday at the Funeral Home.




Albert Bankert, 79 1129 Parker, retired tailor and father of former Police Desk Sergt. Frank Bankert, died in a local hospital Friday, June 23, 1939, after a brief illness.

He conducted a tailor shop at the Parker St. Address for nearly 40 years. At one time he employed a force of 14 workers, making suits and overcoats for H. H. Cooper & Company and other clothing firms.

He was born in Germany, Nov 24, 1859, and came to Utica as a young man. Before establishing his own business, he worked in tailor shops for several years. He last conducted a cleaning and pressing shop at 714 Columbia.

He was a member of St.. Joseph’s Church and an honorary life member of the Utica Maennerchor. He served as a trustee of the Maennerchor for many years. His wife, the former Sophia Haak, died about 13 years ago.

He leaves another son, Albert; a daughter, Miss Amelia Bankert; a brother, Anthony , and four grandchildren, Utica.


Utica Observer Dispatch, Utica, NY Thursday, October 2, 1997

Anne Helen Carey

Utica/Eaton, NY

Anne Helen Carey, 72, of Eaton, NY, passed away Wednesday, October 1, 1997.

Anne was born November 20, 1924 in Utica, the daughter of Norbert and Mary Roach Bankert. On May 9, 1942, in the Church of St. Francis de Sales she married Paul Vincent Carey, and celebrated their 55th wedding in 1997. Anne was a communicant of Historic Old St John’s Church and St. Mary's Catholic Church in Hamilton, NY. She was an active member of the Parish Center at St. John's, working with the children of the parish.

Anne was a loving mother, grandmother and aunt. She always had her family uppermost in her heart and will be missed by all of her loved ones.

Anne is survived by her loving husband Paul; and her beloved sons and their spouses, Father Paul Carey, Pastor of Immaculate Conception Church Pompey, NY, S. Patrick and Denise Carey of Utica, John F. and Margaret Carey of Waterville and James B. and Kathy Carey of Rochester. She was also very proud of her grandchildren, Colleen (Carey) Stone of Rochester, Patrick, Bridget and Megan Carey of Utica, and Heather and Sonia Carey of Rochester; her two brothers and sisters-in-law, John and Mildred Bankert of North Brookfield, William and Phyllis Bankert of Utica; and sister-in-law, Catherine Bankert of Utica; brothers-in-law and spouses, Stephen and Emma Carey and Francis Rosemary Carey.

Funeral services will be Saturday at 10:00 from Nunn & McGrath Funeral Directors, 470 French Road, Utica and 11:00 from Historic Old St. John's Church where a Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated by her son Father Paul Carey with Bishop Thomas Costello presiding. Interment will be in St. Bernard's Cemetery, Waterville Relatives and friends are invited and may call Friday, 2-4 and 7-9.

Anne’s family wishes to express its deepest appreciation and gratitude to Dr. Kevin McCormick and his wife, Rose, for his wonderful care and for their kindness during Anne's illness. Special thanks is also expressed to Norbert and Esther Bankert for all their care and concern during Anne's illness.

Arrangements are under the direction of Quinn, Ryan & Nunn Funeral Home.


ROACH – Reynolds

Waterville Times, Waterville, NY May 20, 1892

Killed At Oriskany Falls

On Sunday morning as Bartholomew Roach, of Oriskany Falls, was crossing the Ontario and Western railroad at the coal sheds in this village he was struck by an extra train and thrown about fifteen feet striking his head upon the corner of one of the ties and crushing the skull just above the right ear. He lived until Tuesday when he died. A milk wagon crossed the track just ahead of Mr. Roach and he was so intent upon watching it escape from danger that he forgot about himself and was hit by the engine just as he was stepping off the track. The deceased was born in Ireland, nearly seventy years ago. He came to this country when in middle life and settled in Oriskany Falls where he has resided for more than a quarter century. He was a cooper by occupation and for many years had been employed in that capacity at the brewery of H. Morgan & Co. He was a respected, industrious citizen, and much sympathy is extended the family. He leaves a wife, three sons, John and Edward of Utica, and Bartholomew, who is a travelling salesman – and two daughters – Mrs. Louis Bleau (Winneford) in Waterville and one in Madison. Funeral services were held from St. Joseph’s Church to-day at 10 o’clock a.m.

Utica Daily Press, Utica, NY Monday, May 16, 1892


Bartholomew Rhodes [Roach] struck by the Cars at Oriskany Falls

Bartholomew Rhodes [Roach] was struck by the cars at Oriskany Falls about 8 o'clock yesterday morning and fatally injured. He is about 68 or 70 years old, and a cooper by trade, being employed by H. Morgan & Co. in the brewery. Yesterday morning just after the regular train passed Oriskany Falls, a wild cat coal train went north. Rhodes had been up town and was returning to his home. He approached the Abbott crossing about the same time the train did. Lawrence Cool noticed his danger and made every effort to warn him, and Engineer Lamphere also blew his whistle but Rhodes [Roach] did not appear to hear either. The cow catcher of the engine struck his legs and threw him about 18 or 20 feet, his head striking the corner of a tie, fracturing his skull badly. He as carried to his home on Broad street, where he was attended by Dr. Pollard, of Oriskany Falls, and Drs. Langworthy and Beebe. They found the skull badly fractured and the tendons of one leg torn. The skull was trephiped [?] and pieces of broken bone about two inches square were taken out, giving him some relief and causing him to breathe easier. Last night Mr. Rhodes [Roach] was still alive, but unconscious, and the doctors did not believe he would live till morning.

Rhodes [Roach] is a native of Ireland and came to this country when he was 40 years old. He has lived in Oriskany Falls ever since. He has a wife, two sons and three daughters. One son is employed in the People's Brewery, Utica, and another is traveling salesman for a Western hardware house. Of his daughters, one lives at Waterville and one at Obittening and another at 62 Charlotte street, Utica.


Waterville Times, Waterville, NY, September 2, 1898


Mrs. Bridget Roach, widow of the late Bartholomew Roach of Oriskany Falls, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Louis Bleau (Winnefred), on Wednesday evening, August 31, in the sixty-fourth year of her age. On July 4th she had a shock of paralysis and for the past eight weeks had steadily failed until death came to end her sufferings. Since the death of her husband six years ago she has lived alternately with her daughters, Mrs. H. Downey (Mary Ann?) of Syracuse and Mrs. Louis Bleau of Waterville, who with two sons, John of Camden, and Bartholomew of Syracuse are the only surviving members of her family.

The funeral will be held from St. Bernard’s Church, Saturday morning at 9:30, the interment being in Waterville.



Utica Herald Dispatch, Utica, NY, Wednesday, May 15, 1907


Died Early This Morning – Was Over 90 Years Old

At the home of his daughter, Mrs. John W. Roach, 66 Second street at 12:30 o’clock this morning occurred the death of Edward Reynolds.  For the past four years he had lived with his daughter.  Mr. Reynolds was over 90 years old* and prior to coming to this city, he lived in Westmoreland.  He came to Westmoreland from Ireland with his wife when he was a young man.  He was a farmer by occupation.  Mr. Reynolds was a staunch Democrat.  He was a member of St. Mary’s Church at Clinton.  Since coming to Utica he has attended St. John's Church.  Mr. Reynolds is survived by three daughters, Mrs. James Martin (Rosa), Mrs. Alfred E. Trosset (Kate) and Mrs. John W. Roach (Anna), and his wife Bridget who lives with Mrs. Roach.

Utica Observer Dispatch, Utica, NY, Friday, May 17, 1907


The funeral of Edward Reynolds was held from the home of his daughter, Mrs. John W. Roach, 66 Second St. at 9 o’clock this morning and a half hour later from St. John’s Church where a high mass was celebrated by Rt. Rev. Msgr. J. S. M. Lynch.  The attendance of friends was large.  The bearers were Edward, Patrick, John, and James Morgan, Patrick Fleming and John Fay.  The internment was in St. Agnes cemetery. 

*census records are fairly consistent and place Edward’s birth at about 1821 or 1822 making his age at his death most likely about 85 or 86.


Utica Observer, Utica, NY                                                                                                             Monday, October 7, 1918

Mrs. Edward Reynolds

Resident of Westmoreland Many Years
Died At the Home of Her Daughter 

Mrs. Bridget Canty Reynolds, 90 years old, died at 7 o’clock Saturday evening at the home of her daughter, Mrs. John W. Roach, 704 Second St.  Death was due to infirmities of age.  Mrs. Reynolds was born in Ireland, Jan. 6, 1828, and came to this country when a child, first making her home in Westmoreland, where she resided until 17 years ago, when she came to this city.  She was the widow of Edward Reynolds.  She is survived by three daughters.  Mrs. Roach (Anna), Mrs. Rose Martin and Mrs. Katherine Trossett: 11 grandchildren and one great-grandchild

Utica Observer, Utica, NY                                                                                                        Tuesday, October 8, 1918

The funeral of Mrs. Bridget Reynolds was held at 10 o’clock this forenoon from the home of her daughter, Mrs. John Roach, 704 Second St. and at 10:30 o’clock in St. John’s Church, where Rev. H. Kirchen celebrated a requiem high mass.  There was a large attendance of friends.  Relatives were bearers as follows: Alfred Trossett, Francis Trossett, B. F. Roach, Charles Regan.  The Interment was made in St. Agnes Cemetery.


Utica Daily Press, Utica, NY Tuesday, October 27, 1936


Mrs. John W. Roach

Mrs. John W. Roach, 110 Grove Place, died last night, Oct. 26, 1936 after a long illness.

Anna Reynolds was born in Hecla, July 12, 1860, daughter of the late Edward and Bridget Canty Reynolds. She married at Clinton in 1892 to John W. Roach. Most of her life was spent in Westmorland, Camden and Utica. Mrs. Roach was a member of St. John's Church and its societies.

Besides her husband she leaves two children, Bart T. Roach and Mrs. Norbert F. Bankert: a Sister, Mrs. Rose Martin; eight grandchildren, several nieces and nephews.


Utica Daily Press, Utica, NY Saturday September 25, 1943

John W. Roach

Dies at 85

John W. Roach, 85, 110 Grove, died Sept. 24, 1943 after a long illness.

He was born Aug. 7. 1858 in Oriskany Falls, the son of the late Bartholemew T. and Bridget Collins Roach.

He married Miss Anne Reynolds in Clinton in 1898 (1892) and for five years the couple lived in Camden, then came to Utica. Mr. Roach established a business partnership with P. J. Reardon, from which he retired 10 years ago. He was a member of St. John's Church and it's Holy Name Society.

Mrs. Roach died seven years ago and Mr. Roach had made his home with his son, Bart T. Roach. That son, one daughter, Mrs. Norbert T. Bankert, eight grandchildren and a great-grandchild, together with several nieces and nephews are the survivors.

The funeral will be at 9 a. m. Monday from his home and at 9:30 from St John's church. Burial will be in St., Agnes Cemetery.


Utica Daily Press, Utica, NY Wednesday, January 22, 1919

John Roach Jr.

John Roach Jr. son of Mr. and Mrs. John Roach of 704 2'nd St. died at 3:00 yesterday afternoon at his parents home after an illness of 1 week. He was born in Camden 21 years ago and came to this city with his parents when a year old and had since lived here. He was a member of St. John's Church and the League of the Sacred Heart. Of an unusual sunny and cheerful disposition, he endeared himself to a host of friends who will sincerely mourn his passing. Besides his parents, he leaves one sister, Mary R. and two brothers, Bartholomew and Edward. The latter now in France.

*John had been crippled since birth and was 21 years old when he died. I recall seeing a photo of him in a wagon being pulled probably by an older brother.



Utica Observer Dispatch Saturday, October 20, 1934



Utican Was Ex-Alderman and

Veteran of World War

Edward J. Roach, 39 widely known as "Cal", died this morning.

Mr. Roach, who lived at 17 Cornwall Avenue, was formerly alderman of the 10th ward and was a veteran of the World War and Mexican border campaign.

Mr. Roach was taken ill while downtown last night, Emergency treatment was given him immediately at a hotel. He died this morning at 6:30 however.

Dr. Gordon A. Holden, coroner, was notified. He learned that Mr. Roach had been afflicted recently with a heart ailment which caused his condition to become critical last night while downtown.

Mr. Roach had been associated with Thomas Quinn for many years in the Roach & Quinn Grill Inc., at 115 Blandina Street. He was known particularly for his activities in the Republican Party and as a former member of Utica’s Common Council. He held many important committee assignments during his six consecutive terms as alderman, from 1920-1932.

In June, 1916, he enlisted in Company B. of the National Guard of New York State. At the entrance of the United States into the World War, Mr. Roach was mustered into the service and was sent to France where he served as a member of the 27’th Division and took part in activities of that division and in four of the greatest battles of the war.

Edward J. Roach was born in Camden, Aug. 2, 1895, a son of John W. Roach and Anna R. Roach. He came with his parents to Utica at an early age, and was educated at Assumption Academy and Utica Free Academy. About 10 years ago he married Phoebe Jones, who survives.

His business, fraternal and political affiliations gained a wide circle of friends for Mr. Roach. He was a member of the Church of Our Lady of Lourdes; Utica Council 189, Knights of Columbus; the American Legion; Veterans of Foreign Wars and Utica Lodge 23, BPOE.

Besides his widow, Mr. roach leaves his parents; four children, Phoebe Therese, Mary Lourdes, Anna Reynolds and Patrick John Roach, all of Utica; one sister, Mrs. Norbert F. Bankert, and one brother, Bart J. Roach both of Utica.


LANGE – Wolfe

Utica Daily Observer Wednesday November 26, 1890

Death of John G. Lange

In the death of John G. Lange, which occurred last evening, Utica loses one of the oldest and most respected German residents. Mr. Lange was born in Obernessa, near Weissenfels on the Saale, Germany, June 19, 1817. At the age of thirty-four, in 1851, he removed to America with his family, settled in Utica and built the first house erected on Dudley street, where he has since resided. Previous to coming to America Mr. Lange served for sixteen years as a soldier in the Prussian army, and was a sergeant when discharged. He was a shoemaker by trade, which business he followed for many years in this city. Always industrious, with a kind word for everybody, a conscientious but unostentatious Christian, Mr. Lange made many warm friends, who will sincerely mourn his death. His widow, one son, Charles H. Lange, and three daughters, Mrs. Pauline Desmond, Mrs. E. W. Owens and Mrs. Emma Brace, all of Utica, survive.


Utica Daily Observer Saturday November 21, 1891

Death of Mrs. Johanna Lange

After a short illness, Mrs. Johanna Lange died at her home yesterday afternoon. The deceased was born in Weisenfeldt (Weissenfels), Germany, 1816, and has resided in Utica forty years. For many years she had been a member of St. Paul’s German Lutheran Church (located on South St.). She was beloved by all who knew her, and her death will be sincerely mourned. The deceased was the wife of the late John H. Lange, She leaves four children, Charles H. Lange, Mrs. Henry P., Desmond, Mrs. John (Emma) Brace and Mrs. E. W. Evans (listed as Mrs. E. W. Owens in son Charles obit).


Utica Daily Press Saturday March 4, 1899



Mrs. Charles H. Lange, Wife of the Well-Known Shoemaker, Expired in the Store of Risley Bros., Oneida Square, from Fatty Degeneration of the Heart - An Estimable Woman.

Mrs. Charles H. Lange of 130 Dudley avenue, died suddenly in the store of Risley Brothers on Park avenue, near Oneida square, shortly after 8 o'clock, last evening. Mrs. Lange, in company with her 16-year-old daughter, Martha, left her home about 8 o'clock, taking an Eagle street car. The two had arranged to meet Mr. Lange at the corner of Elizabeth and Genesee streets and to go with him to a dime social under the auspices of Bacon Relief Corps. The car was crowded and Mrs. Lange and her daughter were forced to stand. The unsteady motion of the car was especially unpleasant to the young girl who only a week before had received an injury to her hand, which she was obliged to guard with extreme care from contact with other passengers. It is thought that Mrs. Lange's anxiety and solicitude for her daughter was instrumental in part in bringing on an attack of dizziness which made it necessary for her to leave the car when near Oneida square. Martha assisted her into Risley's store and procured a chair for her. Mrs. Lange breathed heavily and grew rapidly worse, dying within about five minutes after entering the room and before Drs. Guillaume and Powell, who were summoned, could reach the place. Dr. Hunt, who made a post-mortem examination, stated that death was due to fatty degeneration of the heart.

The grief-stricken daughter hastened to the corner of Genesee and Elizabeth streets, where she found her father waiting and hysterically informed him of what had occurred. Together the two started for Risley Brothers, where they were joined soon after by Coroner Dodd. The remains were removed to Slawson's undertaking rooms, and after an investigation Coroner Dodd decided that no inquest would be necessary.

Mrs. Katherine Lange would have been 48 years of age had she lived until March 23. She was born in West Leydon and was the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Henry Wolf. She lived in Rome for some time, and in 1867 came to Utica, where, on the 30th of September of that year she was married by Rev. Andrew Wetsel to Mr. Lange. She attended the Church of the Redeemer, and was prominent in G. A. R. circles, being a charter member of Bacon Relief Corps. She was greatly devoted to her home and family, a kind and affectionate wife and mother. Her husband, the well known shoemaker, and seven children survive. The children are Mrs. C. P. Taylor of Martinsburg, and Mrs. Katherine Odin, Charles H., jr, John G,. Martha M., Augusta and Irene. Six children have died.

Last July Mrs. Lange suffered an attack of rheumatism and had not been well since. Of late she had been troubled with heart disease, a notable symptom being in difficulty in breathing. The husband and children will have the sympathy of all in their sudden bereavement.

Utica Daily Press, March 6, 1899


The funeral of Mrs. Charles H. Lange was held from her late home, 130 Dudley avenue, yesterday afternoon, Rev. F. W. Klingensmith officiating, and a large number of friends being in attendance. A quartette composed of Mr. and Mrs. Karl Heintz and Misses Bertha and Lena Besserer sang a hymn. At the Church of the Redeemer services were also held, the attendance here being even greater than at the house. Amongst those present were members of the G. A. R. and Bacon Relief Corps and Unter Uns in a body. The Active Bearers were David Jones, George Dagwell, John Ball, F.; F. Budd John Edwards and E. B. Stephens. The honorary bearers were from Bacon Relief Corps and were Mrs. Henry Yakey, Mrs. Bohanan, Mrs. Heghrling, Mrs. Kittle M. Dicks, Mrs. Roberts, Mrs. Carpenter. The interment was made in Forest Hill cemetery


Utica Daily Press, Utica, NY Thursday, September 17, 1903



A Creditable Record in the Civil War and Was Prominent in Grand Army Circles-Had Been Out of Health Six Months-Incidents of the War and Other features of His Life.

Charles Henry Lange, well known in Grand Army circles, died at 8:50 last evening. He had been out of health since April last, suffering from dropsy and heart trouble. He had been confined to his bed about two weeks.

Mr. Lange was born in Teuchern, Jurisdiction of Merzeburg on the Saale, Province of Saxony, February 3, 1840. In 1851 he came with his parents to Utica. The father built a house on Tibbits street, corner of Eagle street, where the family resided most of the time since. Mr. Lange learned his trade as a shoemaker in the shop of Col. F. X. Meyers at the corner of South and West streets, and after he had finished his apprenticeship, worked for Sylvester Barringer, John Cantwell and a number of others. In 1856 he left Utica and worked as a journeyman in Boston, New York, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington and Syracuse. After the war he returned to Utica and worked at shoemaking for Ralph Bronk, When Reynolds Brothers opened their shoe factory at the corner of Genesee and Liberty streets, Mr. Lange entered their employ and he made the first pair of shoes ever turned out by the foreman. He was a trimmer of soles and heels and worked for the firm altogether 16 years. During this time he trimmed over a million pairs of shoes. In 1867 he worked for one season for the firm of Kingsbury, Abbott & Hale of Rome. In 1882 Mr. Lange left the employ of Reynolds Brothers and started a custom and repair shop on Blandina near Genesee street. This has been his occupation since. In 1898 he removed his shop to Charlotte street. While working in the factory he belonged to various labor organizations of shoemakers. Before the war, Mr. Lange belonged to Protection Hose Company, No. 4, and after the war he was in Franklin Hose Company, No. 5, serving altogether six and one-half years in the volunteer fire department. Since 1868 he has been a member of the Exempt Fireman's Association. He was also a member of the Utica Maennerchor. In politics he has always been independent.

Mr. Lange was best known in this community as a member of the Grand Army organizations. In August,1862, while at Syracuse, he enlisted in the 122'nd New York Volunteer Infantry Regiment, Company B, under Captain Chamberlain and Captain Marks. He was first a private and afterward a sergeant. The regiment to which he belonged was attached first to the Army of the Potomac and later to the army of Western Virgina. Mr. Lange served all through the war from August 1, 1862, to June 23, 1865, when he was mustered out, receiving his final discharge July 3 of the same year. His record as a soldier was a good one and quite eventful. He took part in the battles of Antietam, South Mountain, Fredricksburg, being present on the 2d day of May, 1863 when the heights of Fredericksburg were captured. After being in smaller engagements he went to the Shenandoah Valley, where he fought at Monocracy, Harper's Ferry, Winchester, Fisher's Hill, Cedar Creek, the Wilderness, Spottsylvania and other places. He was the first man to see the approach of Sheridan on the latter's famous ride and remembered the event well. He said that pictures of Sheridan on his ride always made him tired, for the reason that they represent that general wearing his hat. He said that from July to Christmas, during which time he served under Sheridan, He never saw that officer with a hat on his head. At the battle for Spottsylvania he saw Gen. Sedgwick killed.

On returning to Utica Mr. Lange joined Bacon Post of the Grand Army, and after being in it some years organized Reynolds Post. Later he helped organize Harrer Post in which he has served the longest. He had held all the offices in Harrer Post except chaplain, and for 14 terms was the officer of the day. Three times he served as delegate to the department encampment and was once aide-de-camp on the staff of the department commander. In his connection with the Grand Army he had considerable to do with the disbursing of charity. Mr. Lange was very well known in Grand Army circles and attended all the Grand Army meetings of note. While he made no pretensions to oratory, he was a very earnest speaker and entered into all the festivities and other projects of the organization with great enthusiasm.

September 30, 1867, he married Catherine Wolfe of Rome, who died March 3, 1899. Of 13 children, seven survive, They are Mrs. C. P. Taylor of Martinsburg, Lewis county, Mrs. Catharine Odin of Syracuse, Charles H., jr., of Utica, John O., U.S.A., Martha of Rochester, Augusta, and Irene of Utica: of grandchildren he leaves four, Mr. Lange also leaves three sisters, Mrs. Emma Brace, Mrs. Henry E. Desmond and Mrs. E. W. Owens, all of Utica. Mr. Lange attended Zion's Lutheran church for many years, but since 1896 had been a member of the Church of the Redeemer.


Utica Daily Press, Utica, NY April 30, 1932

Charles H. Lange

Charles H. Lange, 52, 1524 Brinckerhoff Avenue, died last night in a local hospital after a lingering illness.

He was born in Utica, son of the late Charles H. and Catherine Wolfe Lange and was educated in the local public schools. He married Mary Messenger 22 years ago. Mr. Lange was a cigar maker by trade. He was a memger of Company A, New Yok State National Guard for more than 25 years and was employed at the State Infantry Armory for a number of years.

He leaves his wife and five children, Reginald, Charles, jr., Eleanor, Margaret and Catherine, all of Utica; five sisters, Mrs. Etta Taylor, Mrs. Catherine Hyland, Mrs Martha Owens, all of Utica; Miss Gussie Lange and Mrs. Irene Feidt, both of Canastota; also several nieces and nephews.


Utica Daily Press, Utica, NY Tuesday, December 10, 1940

Mrs. Mary Lange

The funeral of Mrs. Mary (Messenger) Lange, wife of the late Charles H. Lange, 1562 Miller, who died in St. Elizabeth Hospital Monday, Dec. 9, 1940, will be held at 9 from her home Wednesday morning and at 9:30 from St., Francis de Sales Church.

She was born in Utica, daughter of Bridget Gagan and the late Irving Messenger. She attended the public schools her, and had resided here all of her life. She married Mr. Lange in November, 1909 in Syracuse, and he died April 29, 1932. He (She) was a member of St. Francis de Sales Church. Surviving are two sons, Reginald M. and Charles H. Lange, both of Utica, three daughters, Mrs. Lawrence (Eleanor) Amrhein, Mrs. John (Margaret) McClosky, and Miss Catherine J. Lange, all of Utica; three sisters, Mrs. Loretta Duffy, Mrs. Margaret Roberts, Mrs. George Hillman, all of Utica, and a brother, Clarence Messenger, Utica; five grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.


Utica Daily Press Saturday July 14, 1917



Utica Railroad Man is Run Over by Freight Train Near Canastota and Succumbs to Injuries in Hospital Few Hours Later--Believed He Fell Asleep While Sitting on Tracks in Rear.

Canastota, July 13 – John Gutlieb Lange, 35 of Utica, a New York Central brakeman, died at the Canastota hospital early this afternoon from injuries he received when struck by the engine of a west bound Central freight train, a mile west of Canastota, at 8:20 o’clock this morning. The body will be taken to Utica, where the funeral will be held at the home of his sister, Mrs. Etta Ringleka, 133 Cooper St, at an hour to be decided upon later.

Lange, who had lately boarded in East Syracuse, was flagman on a pushing engine, operating on the grades west of Canastota. His train, a long east bound freight, stopped just west of Canastota. and Lange left his engine for rear end flag service. He sat on the rails of track three and apparently fell asleep, for he paid no attention to the screeching whistle of the west bound freight engine as it bore down upon him.

Lange, badly mutilated but conscious, was picked up and put aboard a west bound passenger train, just pulling out of Canastota, which was backed into the station. He was removed to the Canastota Hospital. Dr. Rommel amputated the right leg and set a communated fracture of the left leg. Lange had also a fractured skull and internal injuries. Little hope was held out for him from the start.

In Canastota after the accident Lange seemed to realize it was all up with him. "I am going to die" he said repeatedly.

John Gutlieb Lange was born in Utica, April 13, 1881. a son of the late Charles H. and Catherine Wolfe Lange. During the Spanish-American war he served in Company B. of Utica, and the Forty – first United States Volunteers, and saw actual fighting in several battlers. Following the war he served the regular army as trumpeter. He was a member of the Fifty-second Company of Coast Artillery. He was stationed for some time at a fort just outside of New Bedford, Mass.

Mr. Lange lived at New Bedford until about four years ago, when he moved to East Syracuse. He was a member of the Brotherhood of Railroad Trainmen, the Untied Spanish War Veterans, the Fraternal Order of Eagles and the Improved Order of Red Men in New Bedford. He married about 13 years ago Miss Edith Robertson of New Bedford, who survives with two children, Lillian and Dana, who resided in New Bedford. He also leaves five sister, Mrs. W. E. Ringleka, Mrs. Martha Peaudry, Miss Gussie Lange, Mrs. Irene Wilson, and one brother, Charles H. Lange, and nephews and nieces, all of Utica.



Utica Daily Press, Utica, NY Saturday December16, 1899



Belayed With Illness on Genesee Street and While Being Assisted to a Doctor's Office He Had a Hemorrhage Which Caused Death-His Home was at 446 Seymour Ave.

About 5 o'clock yesterday afternoon a man went into Howarth and Ballard's drug store on Genesee street, He said he was ill and wanted a doctor. The Clerks started to take him to the office of Dr. Stephens on the floor above, in the hallway the man sank down. He had a hemorrhage. It was found that Dr. Stephens was not in. Dr. Douglas was summoned and when he arrived the sufferer was breathing his last. The ambulance, which was in waiting to take him to a hospital, took him instead to G. Lankton on Columbia street. A great crowd of people assembled, but not one was able to identify the man. Later it was discovered that his name was Irving Messenger, and that his home was at 446 Seymour avenue. He was a cigarmaker by trade, being in the employ of Stevens Lockart. He left his work in their factory shortly before 5 o'clock and was on his way home when the fatal illness seized him.

Mr. Messenger usually returns home about 5 o'clock and when he did not come last evening his wife and oldest child, May, aged 13 years, went looking for him They heard of a man ill in Dr. Douglas' office and went there and inquired. When told of the death of Mr. Messenger there was a pathetic scene. The undertakers had in the mean time broken the news at his home where his mother and grandmother were with the other children. Coroner Dodd, after investigating the case decided that no inquest was necessary. He learned that Messenger had been in ill health for several years and had suffered hemorrhages on previous occasions. The deceased was in his 44'th year. He was born in Westfield, Conn*., but had lived in Utica for the past 27 years. He was a member of the Cigarmakers' Union. He is survived by a wife (Bridget Gagan) and five children, May (Mary), Clarence, Marguerite, Mabel and Loretta.

There will be a special meeting of the Cigarmakers' Union at Labor Temple this afternoon at 5 o'clock to take action on the death. A full attendance is requested.


* Irving was born Willis I. Messenger in Granby, CT.


Utica Observer Dispatch Monday, June 27, 1904

Mrs Wealthy P. Winchell

At her home, 46 (446) Seymour Ave., Saturday evening, died Wealthy Pamelia Gillette, widow of Eli Winchel. Her death terminated a lingering illness,. Born in Granby, Conn., Nov. 29, 1812, she removed with her parents to Southwick, Mass., where she lived up to about 32 years ago when she located in Utica. She was married at Southwick when about 18 years old. Her husband has been dead many years. Mrs. Winchell was a member of the Baptist faith and possessed many lovable qualities. She is survived by two children, Clyden R. Winchell of Granville Center, Mass, and Mrs. Sarah A. Messenger of Utica. She leaves two grandchildren, Clarence and Frederick Winchell, both of Massachusetts, and five great-grandchildren, Mary F., Clarence, Marguerite, Mabel and Loretta Messenger, all of this city.


Utica Daily Press Friday, June 3, 1921


The death of Sarah Messenger, 88 hears old, occurred at the home of her granddaughter, Mrs. Charles Lange, 608 Emily street, at 1:40 o’clock yesterday afternoon. Mrs Messenger had been ill since Easter. She was born in New London, Conn.* September 20, 1833. She was married to the late Frank Messenger in New London 67 years ago, coming to live in Utica in 1872, where she had resided since. She is survived by five grandchildren, Mrs. Charles Lange, Mrs. Peter Roberts, Mrs. George Hillman, Mrs. Leo Duffy and Clarence Messenger, all of Utica, and nine great grandchildren.

*Sarah was born and married in Southwick, Ma. Her intention of marriage to Reuben F. Messenger was filed in Southwick, Ma. in 1855.


Utica Daily Press, Thursday, October 9, 1947

Mrs. Bridget Messenger

Mrs. Bridget Messenger, 94, died Oct. 7, 1947 in the home of her daughter, Mrs. Margaret Roberts, 1652 Dudley, after an illness of three years.

Born in Ireland, on July 11, 1853. she was a daughter of Hugh and Ann McCabe Gagan. In 1867 she came to this country and In 1885 was married to Irving Messenger who died in 1898. She was a member of Blessed Sacrament Church.

Surviving are a son, Clarence; three daughters, Mrs. (Margaret) Roberts, Mrs. George (Mabel) Hillman and Mrs. Loretta Duffy, all of Utica; four sisters, Miss Mary Gagan, Utica, and the Misses Margaret, Rose and Ellen Gagan, Ireland; a brother, Hugh, in Ireland; 15 grandchildren, 9 great grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.

The funeral will be at 9 Saturday from 1652 Dudley and at 9:30 a. m. at Blessed Sacrament Church. Burial will be in Mt. Olivet Cemetery.



March 1898, Troy NY

John Broderick

He was born about 1855 in Ireland and died in Troy, NY on March 15, 1898 at the age of 43. He died at 376 Third Street after an illness of three days following an injury at his work - (Burden Iron Works in Troy). City death record. file no. 21426. Index. He married Ellen Phalen who was born in Ireland on June 8, 1853 and died in Troy on Feb. 8, 1926 at the age of 72 years and 8 months. She died at Troy Hospital, while residing at 2626 5th Ave.) Dr. Mario Cuoca. Arterial Sclerosis. City death record/Page 219, No.153. Reg. No.26. This couple is buried in St. Joseph’s Cemetery in South Troy. The lot is not marked. They had 10 children.


Troy Times, Friday, March 11, 1921

Samual Grober

Samuel Grober of 34 13th St. died last evening at 10:30 o'clock after a long illness. He was born in Switzerland, but had resided in Troy for the last thirty-eight years. He was a member of Trinity Methodist Church. The survivors are his wife, one daughter, Mrs. Richard Kitson, and two sons, Albert and John Grober. The funeral will take place Sunday afternoon at 2 O'clock from the house, with Rev. C.J. Miller officiating. 


February, 1926, Troy NY

Ellen A. Phelan Broderick

John Broderick married Ellen Phelan who was born in Ireland on June 8, 1853 and died in Troy on Feb. 8, 1926 at the age of 72 years and 8 months. Her baptismal record states that she was baptized according to the Rite of the R.C. Church on June 9, 1853 in the Ossory Diocese of Johnstown in County Kilkenny. She died at Troy Hospital, while residing at 2626 5th Ave.) Dr. Mario Cuoca. Arterial Sclerosis. City death record/Page 219, No. 153 Reg. No.26. This couple is buried in St. Joseph’s Cemetery in South Troy. The lot is not marked. They had 10 children.

Ellen's Baptismal Certificate:

"I certify that according to the Parochial Register, Ellen, daughter of Edward Phelan and Margaret Cahill of Larally was baptized according to the Rite of the R.C. Church on the 9th June 1853-

(Signed) W. Healy, P.P.

Johnstown (Ossory Diocese), Co. Kilkenny"

(This note was written by the parish priest on May 21st, 1900, and sent to Ellen in America)


While the baptismal certificate indicates that Ellen was baptized in Co. Kilkenny, the historian, Francis Broderick, states that Ellen A. Phalen was born in Kings County (now County Offaly). Could this be a mistake?


March, 1937, Troy NY

Hugh Graber Sr.

Hugh Graber died from double pneumonia. He was getting better and was supposed to come home from the hospital the following day. His sister, Ann (Graber) Nielsen said she went to the hospital to visit him and he told her to feel his heart because it was racing. He told her he didn't think he was going to make it through the night. He did end up dying that night.


Troy Hospital, March 18, 1937, Hugh F. Graber, husband of Anna Broderick, father of Hugh Jr., John, Howard, Harold, Paul and Rose Mary Graber, son of Ellen Galvin and John Graber, brother of Mrs. Mary Seguin, Mrs. John Stebbins, Mrs. Christian Nielsen, Edward and John Graber.

Funeral from the residence, 2626 Fifih Ave. Saturday morning at 9 O'clock where a requiem high mass will be sung. Friends are invited to attend, and may call Friday evening.


Funeral of Hugh F. Graber

The funeral of Hugh F. Graber was held this morning from the residence at 2626 Fifih Avenue and later from St. Peter's church where a requiem high mass was sung by Rev. Leo Donovan Rev. William Walsh was seated in the sanctuary. Leo McCarthey presided at the organ. The bearers were John J. and Edward J. Graber, Martin F. and Patrick Broderick, Ernest Buehler and Edward P. Ryan. Interment was in St. Mary's cemetary.


December, 1941, Troy, NY

Anna Grober

DEATH NOTICE - Troy Newspaper

GROBER (sic) - In this city - December 10, 1941, Anna Grober, wife of the late Samuel Grober, mother of John Grober, grandmother of Mrs. Henry Curley. Funeral from the residence, 361 Congress Street Friday morning at 9 O'clock and thence to St. Frances de Sales Church where a 9:30 O'clock requiem high mass will be sung. Friends may call at the residence Thursday evening from 7 to 10 O'clock. Interment in St. Mary's cemetary.


Funeral of Mrs. Grober

The funeral of Mrs. Anna Grober was held this morning from the residence, 361 Congress Street and later from St. Francis de Sales Church where a requiem high mass was celebrated by Rev. Patrick Crowe. Mrs. John J. Bovino presided at the organ and sang "Domine Jesu Christi" at the offertory and "Sweet Saviour Bless Us" at the conclusion of the mass. Bearers were Leo P. Barry, John E. Curley, Charles L. Marre and Bernard Kozilsky. Interment was in St. Mary's cemetary.


May, 1949, Troy NY

John Graber

In this city, May 12, 1949. John Graber husband of Ellen Galvin; father of Mrs. Ray Seguin, Mrs. Roy Stebbins, Mrs. Christian Nielsen and Edward J. Graber. Funeral from the John H. Lodge Funeral Home, 2243 Fifth Avenue, Monday morning at 9 O'clock and at 9:30 O'clock from St. Peter's Church where a requiem high mass will be celebrated. Interment in St. Mary's Cemetery. Friends are invited and may call Sunday afternoon and evening.


John Graber's Funeral

The funeral of John Graber was held at 9 AM today from the John H. Lodge Funeral Home, 2243 Fifth Avenue and at 9:30 AM from St. Peter's Church where a requiem mass was celebrated by Rev. Michael F. English, pastor of the church. W. Leo McCarthy presided at the organ, and the children's choir sang the responses to the mass. The bearers were Hugh, Harold, John and Charles Graber and John and Joseph Galvin. Interment was in St. Mary's Cemetery where Rev. Gerald F. Clune officiated at the grave.


November, 1958, Troy NY

Mrs Ellen (Galvin) Graber


Graber - In this city November 28, 1958, Ellen Galvin, wife of the late John Graber, mother of Edward J., Mrs. Raymond A. Sequin, Mrs. Roy H. Stebbins, Mrs. Christian Nielsen, also survived by several grandchildren and great grand-children.

Funeral from the John H. Lodge Funeral Home, 2243 Fifth Ave. Monday morning at 8:30 O'clock and at 9 O'clock from St. Peter's Church where a Requiem High Mass will be sung at 9:30 O'clock. Friends are invited and may call Monday evening and Tuesday afternoon and evening.


Funeral of Mrs. Graber

The funeral of Mrs. Ellen Graber was held at 8:30 A.M. yesterday from John H. Lodge funeral home, 2243 Fifth Ave. at 9 A.M. from St. Peter's Church where a requiem mass was celebrated. Rev. Charles C. Smith was celebrant. Mrs. Agnes K. Dundon was organist and soloist. She sang "Miserere" at the processional, "Domine Jesu Christe" at the offertory and "In Paradisium" at the processional. Bearers were Harold P. Graber, Richard C. Nielson, Arthur R. Seguin, and Kenneth J. Stebbins. Interment was in St. Mary's cemetery where Rev. Stephen T. O'Connor officiated.


[Home] [News/Weather] [Feedback]
©Copyright 2007